PSA: How to Remove Embrocation FAST

We had an embrocation emergency here at Grit & Glimmer HQ over the weekend and I was forced to do some lightning quick internet research to determine the best way to remove the stuff quickly. It took about 10 or 15 minutes of reading through forum threads and long blog posts to find the best information, so I thought I’d do a recap as a kind of PSA.

Here’s what worked.

• Wipe as much off as possible with a dry towel.
  • Use cool water (not hot!) to avoid opening pores.
  • Dawn dishsoap (or any dish soap for that matter, but Dawn worked great) cuts the grease and offers the kind of instant relief that we were after. Lather up generously and wash thoroughly.

Most importantly (but not at all helpful when you’re already mid-burn):

1. Always test embro on a small portion of skin before using.
  2. Always apply embro last: AFTER putting in contact lenses or applying chamois cream.
  3. Be careful with the super hot stuff, people.

This has been a Grit & Glimmer public service announcement, we will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

10 Responses to “PSA: How to Remove Embrocation FAST”

1. chr15 says:

Always need that reminder of number 2. Chamois Cream THEN embrocation.
    Never thought of washing up liquid though to get the stuff off, it will help soften that post ride shower burn that I am having to learn to love.

2. Guy says:

Great tips, I had an emergency last fall and was heading to the hospital, I was told to use cooking oil to break it up, it worked.

3. Jimmy G says:

I have found once you embro up, use a few baby wipes or a healthy amount of hand sanitizer to get it off your hands which is critical (well for us boys at least)for the pre-race or pre-ride visit to the porta-potty. I will try the dish soap. Thanks for the post Heidi!

4. Kristin says:

Oh my god, Thank you Heidi! Or shall I say my legs thank you.

5. jlevo says:

Once I put on some embro and then went to go take care of some ‘aunt flo’ issues.
    Needless to say, that was a very very warm ride.
    yeeee-ouch.

6. Oh Boy says:

Embrocation emergencies? Really? Only in Pdx.

Why don’t folks wear knickers (instead of embrocation)? *Or* for extra warmth try the knickers sans pad *over* the thermo/fleeced lined shorts.

Not every training ride has to be fantasy Paris-Roubaix.

• snarkypants says:

I actually wear embrocation with knickers. And sometimes with tights, too. It’s cold – it helps me stay warm.
      It’s a personal preference I suppose.
      PS: Anonymous comments are so 2010.

7. Bob K. says:

Dude, you gotta be careful. I had to help out a friend who ran into a similar problem: http://teamjva.com/page/9
    I would be the hobbit-like hero of that blogpost. I certainly would have handed you a package of Philadelphia’s finest to solve your problem.

8. Don says:

I read last week after having a few very HOT post ride showers
    that rubbing alcohol works. It does a few swipes with a wash cloth
    wetted with rubbing alcohol removes the embro, and the need to scream
    like a little girl in the shower.

9. Rich E says:

I thought it would be clever to embro my feet a while back. It really wasn’t. I wish I’d have known about this then :)