Let’s Go to New Zealand for MTB SSWC
Let’s wander together.
I’m going to New Zealand in October. Come hell or high water. Really.
After “racing” in the Cyclocross Single Speed World Champsionships last year and then reading about the madcap shenanigans at the 2010 mountain bike Single Speed World Championships, I realized that I must – at some point – attend one of these crazy event internationally.
Then it was announced the 2010 Mountain Bike Single Speed World Championships would be held in New Zealand.
And my heart stopped.
A place of beauty. A place of wonder. A place I have always wanted to ride my bike.
What a great excuse to plan a trip!
So, that’s what I’m doing.
Why am I telling you all this?
Because I decided that if I’m going to go to all the trouble to plan this kind of trip, I might as well make it a big-assed party and invite a bunch of people. Besides, putting together a group itinerary will save a grip of cash.
I don’t have all the details worked out yet, but I am working with a network of providers to create a two-week trip. I’m planning a road cycling tour in the south to follow three days at the SSWC.
This is the basic (tentative) lowdown:
- Dates: October 19th to November 1st
- Three days in Rotura for the SSWC
- Fly to Christchurch (possibly warmer, but definitely creme of the crop for road riding – high temps for this time of year is 63F/17C) to meet up with some rad cycle-touring peeps
- 7 day road-riding tour with daily mileage from 40 to 90 miles.
- The packaged trip will cover airfare, most food, all lodging, transfer from Rotura to Christchurch, etc
- The packaged trip will not cover bike rental (or bike shipping/airline costs if you bring your own)
- I’ll probably need to have a small down payment commitment by March 30th April 30th
If you think you might be interested, just sign up for this here list and I will keep you updated as details come together.
To be clear, this list is only for NZ updates and will be used for nothing else – scout’s honor!
Grit and Glimmer and bicycle field trips,